Do not think me gentle because I speak in praise of gentleness, or elegant because I honour the grace that keeps this world. I am a [wo]man crude as any, gross of speech, intolerant, stubborn, angry, full of fits and furies. That I may have spoken well at times, is not natural. A wonder is what it is. (Wendell Berry)

Thursday, May 01, 2008

A Less Happy Post

Being kind of smart has some downsides. This May all of my friends are graduating. All of the kids at SLU-Madrid that I knew as a freshman that are still there will be walking down the sidewalk to snicker at the dean’s crazy chest hair without me. I’m actually really bummed out. I graduated and everything; I have my diploma to prove it. But I have no pictures, no cap, no gown, no tassle to hang off the rearview mirror of my car, no “Congrats” cards, no fancy black dress I can show my kids and say “this is what I wore the day I graduated college.” I didn’t have a graduation party. I didn’t get to really celebrate the end of school with all my friends. My teachers didn’t know it was my last semester so I didn’t get to say bye to any of them either. It’s true I’ll be going back to Madrid, and I may even get involved in campus ministry there, but it wont be the same. There will be different kids- not even my freshmen from my dorm will be there anymore because they’re all leaving this semester- the same time all my school friends will be leaving.
I am really sad about that. I feel like I missed out on a rite of passage I can never get back. It feels sort of like my botched highschool graduation. It seems like every time I have some cause to celebrate something important in my life it gets totally screwed up.

If I get married, no one is invited. I’ll just stand there alone, swearing.

1 comment:

Paulo J said...

oh, victoria. i'm sorry you're feeling down about the graduation. we'll have parties for you when you get back, and we'll have to try to recreate this ceremony for you. we miss you & are really looking forward to having you here with us!! :D un abrazo fuerte.