Do not think me gentle because I speak in praise of gentleness, or elegant because I honour the grace that keeps this world. I am a [wo]man crude as any, gross of speech, intolerant, stubborn, angry, full of fits and furies. That I may have spoken well at times, is not natural. A wonder is what it is. (Wendell Berry)

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Aesthetic

Sometimes when I'm bored I browse through Flicker's random "interestingness."
Here are some pictures that caught my attention. They go in order of favoriteness so as to save the best for last.


I like this because I remember learning about the Dewey Decimal System in elementary school using the card catalogs. That was in like 1991. The other memory I associate with this is walking through a green tunnel of trees and leaves to get home after school. I don't think I should have been walking home from school by myself but I remember doing it anyway. It was a long walk and all I remember is the green.

I like this picture because of the perspective and the colors. I like the card catalog picture because of the focus, and this one takes the focus and depth to the next level. I also like the shinyness. I'd like to sit on that bench. The air around it seems cool and humid.

I really like this picture because it captures motion somehow better than most pictures. I know it's because of the blurry v. stationary image, but for some reason the longer I look at it, the longer I feel like I'm rushing backwards.

I like this picture because of the title that was given by the artist: "Used to be two cups." I find that sad and want to know what happened to the drinker of the other cup.

This one is my favorite. I like it because she's older but she's very beautiful. I think that age in itself is beautiful. There's something about youth that doesn't seem complete... like if she were younger she'd be missing something. I think her wrinkles are what makes the picture.

No comments: