Do not think me gentle because I speak in praise of gentleness, or elegant because I honour the grace that keeps this world. I am a [wo]man crude as any, gross of speech, intolerant, stubborn, angry, full of fits and furies. That I may have spoken well at times, is not natural. A wonder is what it is. (Wendell Berry)

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Beauty part deux

I just got back from visiting AMY DAYTON in Paris- so I had to share all the french I know- which is about "deux" which means two and I'm pretty sure that's all I know except for how to say "I don't speak French" which is Je ne parle pas frances (also probably not spelled right) but its prounounced Jeh Neh Pa"r"le Pa F"r"ancey. Or not. Whatever, French is ridiculous so back to my featured post.

Little Johnny Carlson asked me what I thought about my last post in relation to the beauty of Christ. [For all you other people: see what happens when you reply to my blogs?] So that's what I'm gonna write about in one moment.

*one moment*

I think that all good feelings and happy moments have something to do with our ability to experience God. That's what makes Earth different from Hell. Even people that don't know the Lord can still experience things that I (in my last post) called beautiful. I do believe all good things come from the Lord, who is the author of goodness and beauty. I think that creation is broken, it still bears the mark of its Creator. If it's more complicated than that I haven't figured it out yet.

I think I want to tie this in with evangelism. So here goes...

I think evangelism is most effective when we can point at things that people already think are beautiful and say THAT is from the Lord. The LORD made that. And that's why you feel what you feel and you can feel more of it if you just recognize that that's where it comes from. Not only will you feel more beauty, but the beauty you experience will become redeemed and perfect and pure and anything imperfect (STD's, withdrawal, depression...) that comes with something God made to be enjoyed (artistic expression, nature, sex, friends...) can be cast off of those experiences and you can experience God more fully. And that comes when we let God redeem us first and we get the Holy Spirit and then we see Beauty for who He really is. So let's all evangelize that way. In this postmodern society where people want to "feel" and "experience" stuff, it's important that we point to the source of feeling and beautiful experiences and tie it in with TRUTH. That's all I got. Not bad for a 20 minute post.

If you put an "l" in deux, you get delux.

1 comment:

John Carlson said...

in the theological realm, this is called "general revelation" (romans 1)

good post