Do not think me gentle because I speak in praise of gentleness, or elegant because I honour the grace that keeps this world. I am a [wo]man crude as any, gross of speech, intolerant, stubborn, angry, full of fits and furies. That I may have spoken well at times, is not natural. A wonder is what it is. (Wendell Berry)

Thursday, October 25, 2007

My Big Family

I have been organizing this trip to N. Africa as sort of a research trip for my church. Our main goal was to go visit this guy named Joe who opened the first Christian bookstore (I'm pretty sure it's the first Christian anything) in N. Africa. So I emailed him asking when we could visit but I had to sort of make my email stealth and not really mention that we were a church or anything because the guy who knows him in our church said that his email is intercepted and read by the government sometimes. So this morning I got an email back from him and it began "Greetings in Jesus' name." I feel like I was just jarred back into reality. Like, I'm still reeling a little bit. This is the life I get to live! I don't have to know a person, but if they are a believer, I can greet them in Jesus' name and know that they are in fact my brother or my sister. How awesome is that!? Like, do you know how big our family is? AHH. I'm excited. I'm excited that people were greeted like that when Paul wrote to churches and that I just got greeted like that 2000 years later. God is unchanging and his church is a rock against which Hell can not prevail!

4 comments:

Heather Cady said...

You preach it sistah, and I'll turn the pages!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that is really cool, 'toria. That just brought a smile to my face and warmed my heart. Thanks for sharing that.

T

Abri said...

That's awesome :) yay for our big family!!!

oh, and your blog title is from Aladdin :) I don't know if anyone else got that yet. miss you dear!

Elle said...

Wow! I read and I was rocked back into reality too!