Do not think me gentle because I speak in praise of gentleness, or elegant because I honour the grace that keeps this world. I am a [wo]man crude as any, gross of speech, intolerant, stubborn, angry, full of fits and furies. That I may have spoken well at times, is not natural. A wonder is what it is. (Wendell Berry)

Friday, March 16, 2007

Lots on my mind

Has there ever been a time in your life where everything seems to happen all in the same month? For some reason this semester is that time for me. The way I cope with it is not a good one. I tend to sleep too much, watch too much tv, spend too much time on the internet, not do the things that I'm supposed to do, even though I like doing them, because it's just "another thing" on my list to do. So instead of being really busy and productive, I have an overwhelming amount of things to do and think about and I end up doing none of them. That's bad. Usually I work pretty well under chaos and pressure, but that's when emotional things are not involved. If I have a lot of stuff to DO then I seem to get it all done and be pretty productive. However, if there are a lot of things happening that I have to mentally process and they are things that I'd rather not think about- I don't DO anything. I just shut myself off from all normal activity until it goes away. This time it isn't going away.
This "defense mechanism" or whatever you want to call it has never not worked before- and it certainly hasn't lasted as long as it has not working. I'm running out of ideas on how to cope. I'm not allowing comments on this post because I don't want any advice. I am going to figure this out on my own, but I could use the prayers. Right now I'm praying that God would give me enough grace to not be lazy and to not be dehabilitated by my thoughts and what's on my mind. Sleep and mindless activity is taking over my life. God needs to re-take it over. That's always hard because when God takes it over I become much more aware of everything that is happening to me, my own sin, my family, my school, basically my own inadequacy to do ANYTHING and I tend to be right where I started, which is overwhelmed. Anyways, I wasn't planning on writing any of this, it sorta just came out, I wanted to post something because I feel bad that the CandirĂº post comes up when you click on my blog. At least all of my problems are mental and I don't have a CandirĂº stuck in my butt.