Do not think me gentle because I speak in praise of gentleness, or elegant because I honour the grace that keeps this world. I am a [wo]man crude as any, gross of speech, intolerant, stubborn, angry, full of fits and furies. That I may have spoken well at times, is not natural. A wonder is what it is. (Wendell Berry)

Monday, March 19, 2007

Daily Bread

The last Oasis service we had, Warren spoke on the phrase "give us this day our daily bread" in the Our Father (or Lord's Prayer if you're not Catholic). I must say, Warren did a fantastic job, and I was doing powerpoint for him so I got a copy of his notes and I stole them and took them home and reread them. The most convicting part for me was the amount of time I spend every day with God. I'm not spending enough. I don't love the Lord the way I should, and the funny thing is, I really want to- I desire to love the Lord more than anything else, but I don't know how. I pray for that on a regular basis and lately things have been getting harder and worse for me. I think there's a reason for that. God is bringing me to the end of my rope, and he's doing a pretty good job. Much like Paul, my desires and my actions have a hard time matching up. Not that I'm comparing myself to Paul... but it's comforting to know that Paul didn't have it completely figured out either.

Question of the day:
What's your favorite thing about God?

My answer:
I know this is really simple and doesn't do God justice, but He wakes me up when my alarm doesn't go off. It's happened to me more than 10 times, where something will happen to my finicky phone and the alarm will shut off but God always wakes me up ONE MINUTE before it was supposed to go off- just so I know that it was Him. There have also been times where I don't have an alarm with me but I need to get up at a certain time (usually early) and I'll pray about waking up at a specific time, and I'll always wake up right at that time- like down to the exact minute. God is cool that way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite thing about God is grace. 'nuff said.