Do not think me gentle because I speak in praise of gentleness, or elegant because I honour the grace that keeps this world. I am a [wo]man crude as any, gross of speech, intolerant, stubborn, angry, full of fits and furies. That I may have spoken well at times, is not natural. A wonder is what it is. (Wendell Berry)

Sunday, August 13, 2006

dcTalk: A Legend Lives On

Today was a bittersweet day. As many of you know, dcTalk has always been, and will remain, the best band on Earth. I am filled with mixed emotions as I write this because of both the happiness and bewilderment of what happened to me today.
Okay, I'll tell you.
As I was driving in the car, the instrumental beginning of the song "Jesus Freak" came on the radio, the song for which dcTalk will probably be most remembered for centuries, nay, millenia to come. I was naturally excited, as any dcTalk fan would be, as I opened my mouth to sing the first word "Separated..."
My immediate response to what I heard was horror. Michael Tait's voice did not echo from the speakers like a squirrel peeks his head out of his tree burrowed hole (both are so natural). Instead, I heard a woman's voice singing words that I have never heard a woman sing before (on the radio, I sing the words all the time, but that doesn't count. Imagine your mom's voice coming out of the face of the cookie monster going "cookie, cookie." It's just wrong.)

Someone has done a remake of the dcTalk song "Jesus Freak".

At first I was dissapointed and confused; terrible confusion and crying ensued. Then I realized... DcTalk is worthy of having a song THEY WROTE resung and remade into something new (although NOT better.) I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH A DCTALK SHRINE IN MY SOUL! Ok, maybe that's going a little far, but if there exists something just a degree or two less than a shrine in my soul, that's what I have for dcTalk. But, this proves it! I'm not alone!!!

So for the many of you who don't think dcTalk is the greatest band ever, I would insist that you're incorrect. DcTalk has has a song stolen from them and rerecorded. Have you? Has your favorite band? Okay, maybe they have, but that just goes to show you, that dcTalk is just as good as them, if not better.

I come back to Spain in nine days. In memory of dcTalk, and sheer excitement about them and their aura, I shall quote lyrics now.


The other night I met a girl, and she looked at me so nice,
I asked her for the digits and she didn't think twice.
A couple'a days later, called her up and asked her out,
she said "with you?" I said "with me!" and she said "without a doubt."

I took her to the garden, where I guess they grow the olives,
she wore a tighter skirt than any I had seen at college.
She said "I love to smoke and drink while cursin' like a sailor."
I asked her where she got her mouth and if she had a tailor.

Finally, I walked her to the door to say goodnight,
She said "I am an apple, would you care to take a bite?"
Politely I refused and said "I'm lookin' for a lady,"
so she slapped me in my face and said "BOY YOU MUST BE CRAZY!"

6 comments:

kelly_w said...

wow. i laughed out loud.

that's how i felt last year when i heard that some scruffy emo christian band had (badly) redone a U2 song. some things should never be remixed.

amy and i were trying to remember the lyrics to that song yesterday. thanks for helping us out.

get back here!

Amy S. said...

That is hilarious Victoria! I missed you yesterday. I was so giddy and I told Kelly, "I don't know what's wrong with me, I feel like Victoria." I then proceeded to sing that song "She's that Kind of Girl." I think I only messed up a couple of words. Anyway, I can't wait to see you soon.

Anonymous said...

Dude DCTalk's whole album Jesus Freak was redone by different people, its called Freaked or something like that, way no where near as good as DCTalk.

Marianna said...

Di-different from the ones before, different from the ones before.

She's that kind of girl,
Different from the ones before, cuz I know she loves the Lord.

Marianna said...

Yeah, so, um... You need to go read my blog. Then you need to follow the link in the post. Then you need to follow the link in that post. Laughter will ensue.

Amy S. said...

Dude, you need to blog again. Punk!