Do not think me gentle because I speak in praise of gentleness, or elegant because I honour the grace that keeps this world. I am a [wo]man crude as any, gross of speech, intolerant, stubborn, angry, full of fits and furies. That I may have spoken well at times, is not natural. A wonder is what it is. (Wendell Berry)

Monday, October 23, 2006

What happens when I get tired and start thinking about deep issues.

Every so often I'll get a song stuck in my head for a couple of days. This weekend it was this song by John Reuben.

Taught young
The world's wisdom:
I was told life's a game, the earth will be your stadium.
Be alert, pay attention,
One day even your friends will become the competition.
Trust no one.
But do remember this:
Never burn any potential bridges.
Know who's who,
and what they can do for you,
and dont feel bad cuz in the end they're gonna do it to you too,
remember life's not fair.
In order to maintain
you're gonna have to let your sensitivities be trained-
a machine,
more than a human being,
what you say doesn't always have to be what you mean.
Tell them what they want to hear, if it's to your benefit,
and words behind closed doors are insignificant.
Push yourself.
Never be satisfied-
Even if you don't get it, at least you died knowing you tried.


I've been thinking. What if I actually lived according to the value God places on me instead of the value people place on me? What if people put more value on God's opinion of things? What if pretty really didn't matter? I feel like I pick and choose which "Christiany" things I do and don't want to do. Do I really need to watch tv? Do I really even need to be in college? Do I need to decorate my room/ download more music/ buy myself dumb souvineirs/ go to the movies? Is having a purposeless conversation wrong? Why do I have a mirror in my room? Are these things products of the fall? Are they things we ignore? Have I gone overboard? Should we all go overboard? What is the cost of purposelessness?

I don't know.

No comments: