Do not think me gentle because I speak in praise of gentleness, or elegant because I honour the grace that keeps this world. I am a [wo]man crude as any, gross of speech, intolerant, stubborn, angry, full of fits and furies. That I may have spoken well at times, is not natural. A wonder is what it is. (Wendell Berry)

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Thin Lines and Fat Lines

There is a line between everything; the place where hate becomes violence; the place where instruction becomes force; the place where love becomes obsession.. I am really bad at finding lines. Not hate or obsession lines, that's kind of creepy. I'm talking about Biblical lines, the lines that actually matter in my daily life- the line between truth and love, the line between going and making disciples and throwing pearls to swine, the line between Jesus being my righteousness and my righteous acts are as dirty rags. I cannot find the line between sin and freedom nor exercising my liberty and making my brother stumble. Where's the line between sanctification and the humility to know that I cannot make myself sanctified? What about the line between waiting patiently in prayer and laziness? What about apathy and trust? What about faith and wishful thinking? What about knowing the truth and it setting you free and being crushed by a quick glimpse of what you were just freed from? What about entering the kingdom of Heaven as a child and being ready to give an answer to the cynics and the intellectuals and those that are out to prove you look like an idiot and a lemming?
Most people strive for something in life that can be obtained, that can be grasped, whether it be fortune, fame, fancy things or contentment. It is God's will that I be sanctified, so it is the thing I try to obtain, to grasp hold of, yet.. it is the one thing that I know is impossible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written.